Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

More Reading

I'm still working my way through 'The Draft' as mentioned in my last post. It's still a really enjoyable book, although little things about the amount of assumed prior knowledge annoy me. For example, there is no explanation of certain terms (such as 'redshirting' someone - although my other half informed me that it's a term used in numerous sports), yet when talking about certain people they are reintroduced each time they crop up. I'm assuming the chapters were written independently of each other, but I really don't need reminding each time that Al Groh was (during the years the book is describing) the head coach at the University of Virginia. I learned that the first time it was mentioned.

I guess that the book is written for an American audience which would explain the assumed prior knowledge - I would imagine that even if you don't like football or understand the ins and outs of it, you pick up a certain amount of knowledge just from it being so dominant and omnipresent.

On the whole, I'm still finding the book a great read - it continues to be incredibly interesting and I do keep wanting to find out more. So on I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment