Pages

Thursday 27 March 2014

Background Reading

My other half kindly dug out a book for me to read to help with my quest. It's called 'The Draft - A Year Inside the NFL's Search for Talent' and is by Pete Williams.


I'm probably about quarter of the way through, and so far I'm really enjoying it. It's incredibly interesting, and whilst it may be called 'a year inside the NFL's search for talent', it actually goes back quite a way and covers a large time period, basically explaining how the NFL draft came to be what it is today. It's quite a good time for me to read it and learn about it, given that it's coming up to the draft time of year.

The book is really informative and mentions a lot of former and current players (sometimes I've even heard of them!), as well as a lot of teams, scouts, managers, rules, draft rule changes and so on. So I think I'm going to have to read it a second time once I'm done to make sure I take in as much as I can. I don't think that will be difficult though, as I've found the book to be very well written so far. It does assume some prior knowledge, so I do sometimes have to ask my other half for an extra explanation. However, that doesn't happen that often, and despite it not being a fictional tale that is supposed to suck you in, I do keep wanting to read more - it's incredibly interesting to learn how the draft develops.

I haven't been reading much of the current news at the moment, although I really should! However, time has been short and my 'learning NFL' time has been consumed by the book. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to catch up on some of the goings on.

No comments:

Post a Comment