Pages

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Back to Basics

I figured that if I'm going to develop my knowledge of NFL to the point where I can give informed opinions and comments, I should really start with the basics. I had some basic knowledge of the game and how it works, but not enough to say that I fully understood the game rules. I could never remember where the line of scrimmage was, and couldn't have told you whether a formation was legal or not, and was completely clueless about fouls. Luckily, my ever-patient other half is generally happy to explain what's happening to me, so I can learn a bit that way. However, it's not football season at the moment so learning by watching is not an easy option at the moment.

Instead, I referred to the faithful resource that is Wikipedia. I do realise that some of the information on Wikipedia needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, however for basics it is normally quite useful. I have been reading this page for information, and clicking on some of the links for further explanations. I'll almost certainly need to refer back to it, as there's no way I'll be able to remember it all from one read through. However, I feel like I've made a good start. Maybe in the next post I'll share some of the things I've learned.

It would also be nice to figure out a way to incorporate pictures into the blog posts. Posting about what I've learned might help with this.

In addition to re-reading the basic rules, I'm going to try to read some of the current NFL news to make a start in learning about current players, attitudes, teams and opinions. I suspect I'll need to refer back to the basic rules/Google to understand some of the information, but it should be a good learning curve!

No comments:

Post a Comment