Pages

Saturday 22 March 2014

Rules, Rules and More Rules - Formations

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been trying to get to grips with the rules of the game. I've been attempting to learn about the positions and formations. Remembering it all whilst in the off-season is hard, as I'm not watching it and putting my new knowledge to use! Again, I've been using the Wikipedia pages on American Football and on Formation, which are a very useful resource for starting off.

Here's what I've been learning so far:

Offense:

Quarterback - kind of obvious this one, but he's the one that throws/passes the ball and leads the team. Sometimes they do run and score themselves as well, some are more partial to doing this than others. I'm a big fan of Peyton and Eli Manning, if only for this video. Trust me, you want to watch it.

Center - this is the player who snaps the ball to the quarterback. He also blocks once he has snapped the ball. This second bit of information is the kind of knowledge I have lacked (and still do lack really), so it's good that I'm learning!

Guard - blocks next to the center player.

Tackle - blocks next to the guard player.

Tight end - sometimes blocks, but I know them mostly for receiving the ball, having spent a lot of time watching the Patriots - they are big on throwing to tight ends, such as Rob Gronkowski.

Wide receiver - also receives the ball.

Half back and fullback - primary and secondary ball carrier, also known to me as running backs. The fullback also blocks.

There must be seven players (at least) on the line of scrimmage. Only the players at each end may catch the ball. These bits of knowledge are new to me, and I think it would really help to watch a game so I can properly visualise this.

Here is a picture of a typical formation to help with said visualisation:


(Picture from Wikipedia)


Defense:

Defensive lineman - these are made up of defensive tackles and defensive ends. Tackles stop the runners, ends chase the quarterback. At least, I believe that's the idea.

Linebacker - there are strong, middle and weak linebackers (for some reason also referred to as Sam, Mike and Will???!!), depending on where they line up in relation to the offense's tight end (strong on the same side, weak on the other side, middle in the, well, middle).

Defensive back - these consist of cornerbacks, a strong safety and a free safety. Cornerbacks are supposed to defend passes, safeties defend passes and runs. Free safeties can move around where they want to.

Here's a defensive formation:


(Also from Wikipedia)

That's probably enough for my brain to take in for one evening. Maybe I'll catch up with a bit of current NFL news though!

No comments:

Post a Comment